Brussels: Turkish army duty

Emir Kir, Undersecretary for Public Sanitation in the government of the Brussels Region, is prepared to fulfill his Turkish military duty. If he does not, he can lose his Turkish citizenship, according to Le Soir and La Dernière Heure. Kir himself denies this.

The Brussels undersecretary called the news "absurd". "Just like many Turks who live in Belgium, I have double nationality. But it is impossible that I will preform my Turkish army duty in Turkey. I am a Belgian elected, I have responsibilities and remain loyal to Belgium," according to 39 year old Kir.

According to the Turkish law every Turkish man must fulfill his military duty before his 39th birthday. If that doesn't happen, the Turkish government can take away his citizenship.

Source: HLN (Dutch)

No comments: