Quote: The good, the bad and the indifferent

Quote: The good, the bad and the indifferent

Douglas Todd, Vancouver Sun


It all had me reflecting on my trips in the past decade to Europe, where I have seen the good, bad and indifferent aspects of Muslim immigration.


I've seen the heavily armed soldiers guarding train stations, ostensibly to guard against Muslim terrorism. I've seen the pickpockets whose families immigrated from Muslim-majority countries, felt the sometimes subtle tension around headscarfs and walked neighbourhoods where (often-low-income) Muslims live in self-imposed enclaves.


I've also met warm-hearted Muslims who go out of their way to help a traveller, visited the French government museum devoted to Arabian culture, ate in racially mixed company in the continent's many Middle Eastern restaurants, celebrated with millions the genius of French-Algerian-Muslim-born soccer player, Zinedine Zidane, and noticed the vast majority of Europeans (especially outside major cities) are still white.


But what about the demographic trends? Could Muslims, as a result of immigration and higher birthrates, make up two out five Europeans by 2020?

No comments: